Thursday, January 17, 2013
Packers 1st Super Bowl Champions!
Good morning my fellow Rotarians. This week in history is one that includes newsworthy and interesting events…
Jan 17, 1994… Earthquake rocks Los Angeles on this day, at 4:31 am, a 6.7 magnitude earthquake rocked Los Angeles, CA killing 54 people and causing billions of dollars in damages. The Northridge quake was one of the most damaging in U.S. history. I will never forget the phone call I got from my brother, 20 minutes after the quake hit shaking him out of bed. It was his first earthquake experience.
Jan 18, 1975… "Mandy" is Barry Manilow's first #1 pop hit. Barry Manilow scored his first #1 single with "Mandy" on January 18, 1975. This was the beginning of selling 75 million records over the course of his career. At the height of Manilow's popularity, Frank Sinatra was quoted as saying that Manilow would be more popular than Sinatra himself. I clearly remember this day because I was the music director at the UNI campus radio station and our group of student broadcasters received recognition as the first college radio station in the country to predict ( 2 months earlier I might add) that Mandy would be Manilow’s break out song and would be #1. Man, we were a bunch of radio geeks!
Jan 15, 1967… The Packers face Chiefs in first Super Bowl at the Los Angeles Coliseum. The Packers won 35-10 led by MPV quarterback Bart Starr. Did you know that this first-ever world championship was NOT a sell out with only 61,946 people in attendance. And it was NOT actually even officially called the “Super Bowl.” It was the AFL vs the NFL World Championship Game. Super Bowl came along in 1969. I will always remember this game because as a 7th grader it was when I officially became a Bart Starr and a Packer fan. And still am to this day. Go Pack go!
There you go, this week in history as the Bottom of the News for Friday, January 18, 2013!
Thursday, January 03, 2013
Pre-Schoolers New Year's Resolutions
Good morning my fellow Rotarians. Well, Happy New Year is in order! As a new year begins many people make New Years resolutions. So, how about your kids? Here are some resolutions that recently came from a group of pre-schoolers…
1. I will stop being so picky about my clothes and agree to wear something other than pink
2. I will let Mommy brush my hair without screaming.
3. I will try new foods and vegetables without gagging.
4. I will try talking in a new voice, other than the WHINY voice.
5. I will try to stop pulling on my mom's pants constantly.
1. I will eat my food slowing so I can enjoy it instead of eating like I've been starved for several days.
2. I will go to the bathroom less than 5 seconds before it's too late
3. I will put my toys away with as much enthusiasm as I had destroying my room.
5. I will stop telling everyone we meet that my younger sister still has to wear a pull up at bed time.
There you have em, resolutions of pre-schoolers. Do you think any of these really have a chance of happening? Happy New Year from the Bottom of the News for this Friday, January 4, 2013!