Friday, April 18, 2014

Times Are Changing



My Grandfather…  “That’s Crazy!”

Good morning my fellow Rotarians.  Found an article the other day about how much prices have gone up and how things have changed over the past 50 years.  These things reminded me of my Granfather who would often respond with “that’s crazy.“   So, here are a few things from 50 years ago that I could hear my grandfather say...

Did you hear the post  office is thinking about  charging 4 cents just to mail a letter?

If they raise  the minimum  wage to $1.00, nobody will be able to hire outside help at their store.

Someone told me that gas would someday cost 25 cents a gallon? Guess we'd be better off  leaving the car in the garage because 25 cents a gallon is expensive (and crazy).

I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any  more.  Ever  since they let Clark Gable get by with saying DAMN in GONE WITH THE WIND, it seems every new movie has either HELL  or DAMN in it.

I read  the other day where some scientist thinks  it's  possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the  century.  They even  have some fellows they call astronauts  preparing for it down in Texas.

Some  baseball player just signed a contract  for $50,000 a year just to play ball?  It wouldn't surprise  me if someday  they'll make more than the President.

I’ve been hearing about this German car, the Volkswagen, and it might open the  door to a whole lot of foreign business in the United States.

Thank goodness I won't  live to see the day when  the  Government takes half our income in taxes.  I sometimes  wonder if  we are electing the best people to government.

There is this fast food restaurant called McDonald’s that is convenient for a  quick meal, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch  on.

No one  can afford  to be sick anymore.  At  $15.00 a  day in the hospital is too rich for my blood.

If they  think I'll pay 30 cents for a haircut,  forget  it, I am NOT that crazy!

Thinking of my crazy grandfather as our bottom of the news for Friday, May 16, 2014!  ###

No comments: